Are you ready for 25th May 2018?
Data Governance always comes across as being a bit a bore but the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) passed by the EU in May 2016 has now grabbed regulatory attention and is acquiring an increasing urgency with its greatly expanded scope and huge penalties. It applies to all companies who deal with EU nationals whether based in the EU or outside.
There is no escape because of Brexit. Secretary of State Karen Bradley has said "We will be members of the EU in 2018 and, therefore, it would be expected and quite normal for us to opt into the GDPR and then look later at how best we might be able to help British business with data protection while maintaining high levels of protection for members of the public".
GDPR is real and has real teeth; and it requires demonstrable compliance to an active and knowledgeable inspection group under the European Data Protection Supervisor.
UKN Group and our partners can provide valuable assistance in all aspects of your preparations; UKN Group can also demonstrate how the environment required by GDPR has real benefits and can even reduce some IT infrastructure costs.
3 Steps To Take Today:
- Arrange to Discuss "IBM's GDPR Readiness Assessment" consultancy
- Arrange a Demo of IBM's StoredIQ for ROT Data Clean-Up - see how IBM's StoredIQ is helping identify ROT Data (reducing storage costs by up to 35% for one Oli & Gas company) as well as preparing for GDPR.
GDPR Compliance applies to everyone
- May 25th 2018 the regulation comes into force.
- the UK will stil be in the EU so the regulation will apply.
- Huge fines: to €20million or 4% of worldwide turnover.
- European Data Protection Supervisor will enforce the regulation.
Get started with a Data clean-up
Setting up a system to gather and provide the information you need to Clean-up your Unstructured Data can take under a week. UKN Group provides the IBM products and associated services to run this key component in achieving GDPR compliance; in addition, many companies have saved up to 35% of their data storage costs as a result of a clean-up project.
For a demonstration or to discuss your requirements contact UKN Group here.
90% of Data is Unstructured and growing rapidly & data storage requirements and costs continue to grow at an enormous rate as the Big Data world approaches ..........
- 69% can be ROTT - Redundant, Obsolete, Trivial, Toxic
- 20-40% can be system generated and immediately deleted
- Select old or inactive data for deletion and/or archive and reduce costs
- Identify current and active data and improve performance to the users
- help your IT staff tier storage effectively
- Identify toxic data (e.g. personal information) to remove regulatory business risk.
- make the clean-up part of an overall information governace & GDPR readiness plan.
GDPR-Ready: Is it on your priority list?
Recent reports suggest that 96% of companies affected by GDPR aren't ready - they also state that:
- in 1 in 10 companies all employees have access to all customer personal data.
- in 1 in 20 companies all employees have access to all financial information.
- just 22% of companies have GDPR compliance as a top priority.
We partner with IBM to provide data analytics and governance solutions including IBM's GDPR Readiness Assessment, find out more here.
Key Requirements of the Regulation:
Empowers EU nationals to control what information is held about them and how it is used.
Covers all personal data that makes them identifiable. Wider territorial reach means that the provisions apply to anyone dealing with an EU national even if from outside EU.
All breaches must be reported within 72 hours. Some organisations will need to appoint a Data Protection Officer to ensure monitoring and management of the regulation.
Sets out strict rules for obtaining consent for lawful processing of data.